Sunday, November 15, 2009

Boogers? Really?

So much to say ... where to start?
Well for starters - her hair...I just don't know what to do there. It's this or Pebbles fountain of hair on her head...not many options there.

Now onto the reason for the picture ... I'm sure I deserve what I get, but why? I always had confidence that I would NEVER have a nose-picking-child. That's discusting, gross, icky, wrong, not appropriate, etc. etc. Well, welcome to my life.
This is my wonder:
First, do I really have the little girl on the block with the finger up her nose? I mean really. Is this a necessary step here that I, as a mom have to face? Does every child go through this, or did I just get the lucky draw on this one? I love the girl, but how do I get her to stop? We've moved up the ladder however, instead of eating her little bit of deliciousness after every good dig, I usually catch her in time to squeal and get her a tissue.
So here it is, I'm laying all my pride flat out on the table...(in case the picture isn't providing enough of that)
My daughter picks her nose ... AND EATS IT!
Gag, gag, gag. gross!
So if you have any tips, ideas, kind words to say about my child who really is cute despite the fact that she eats boogers, please send them my way....pretty sure I'll try just about anything to get my little Averi back in good standing.
By the way, if Averi is picking her nose up on the stand during the Primary Program when she's 7 years old, at least you'll know I tried.

8 comments:

Kristy said...

Man I have NO idea what to tell you. Myles is finally starting to grow out of the... ick can't say it... second half of the process. His whole saying is "Don't eat Poop. Don't eat Boogers". Yup, he's tasted both. Just keep trying to catch her and maybe she will catch on.

Mike and Melanie said...

Kimi, I am pretty sure that every child does this, yup even you did! Just kidding, what I have noticed is that when you bring lots of attention to a bad habit it gets worse, we have been trying to cure Emily of this wonderful habit, and Kurtis has started too, so fun, but I usually just grab whichever one did it and bring them to the bathroom to take care of it. I don't know what to tell you other than that.

Have you tried pig tails in Averi's cute hair? I bet you could get some pretty cute ones! I will email you some pictures of Emily at the same age to show you some hair ideas if you want. She sure is a doll!

Kassi said...

Honestly, I don't know much but I have read a lot of books. So no I don't have any answer's from experience. But try to re-direct her by saying "if your nose is bugging you ask for a Kleenex" and give her kleenex with a matter of fact voice. I have read that little ones feed off of emotion filled correcting. So try to react as little as possible. Since she knows she gets a reaction out of you, she may be doing it for attention. So if you haven't tried ignoring it you may see if that helps.

Like I said I really don't know anything but I have full confidence that she WILL grow out of it sooner or later.

Aaron and Rachel said...

Kim, you have one of the most darling little girls I have ever seen! For now just think of the of little icky thing on her finger as great blackmail for when she is a teenager! I hope everything is going great for you guys we need to talk and catch up! love ya!

Janae said...

Kimberlie, my oldest son is 7 and he still does it. I finally had to tell him that I didn't want me or anyone else to see it and resign to the fact that he's probably going to do it forever. lol

Ember said...

:) Just wait, boys bring a rainbow of different challenges and you'll beg for a booger eating habits! But yeah, um... we just told Aiden that boogers are germs and that if he eats them they could make him sick and that worked. But for him, all the information he can get helps...he loves to understand everything :) Good luck!

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Oh, you're too funny. I don't have much advice here, but maybe just try the classic lead by example. Blow your nose into a tissue several times a day even if you don't really need too. Act like it's so much fun to blow your nose into a tissue then maybe she'll want to use a tissue instead. And bring travel packs of tissues with you every where so you have one on a monents notice. Good luck ;)

Britt said...

Seriously, cannot stop laughing! Those pictures are classic! Maybe you could put vinegar on her fingers. I have no real good ideas. I bet my boys do it and I don't even know about it. Really though...I'm with you...what eternal value could a mom possibly place on the experience of having a booger picking/eating child? Who knows? Can't wait to play games!